How to get more accurate search results
16 Sep 2014 12:00 am by Leela Bozonelis
Researching unfamiliar subjects can be an onerous task, especially when coming up against large article counts with information-intensive projects. Whether you’re conducting research on a person or gathering background information on a business, LexisNexis SmartIndexing saves research time by providing quality results. LexisNexis SmartIndexing simplifies the research process with the capacity to recognise relations, associations and connections between words, ideas and people:
What is LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology™?
LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology™ is a technology that helps researchers by classifying information so that they can efficiently find the information they need.
More specifically, LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology is a classification system which is rule-based, tagging online documents using; relevant subjects, industries, companies, organisations, people and places. Researchers can build their searches using specific index terms to efficiently and accurately pinpoint results.
How are LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology™ terms created?
Index terms at LexisNexis® are made by combining editorial work and our technology. Our subject experts and information professionals are in charge of creating index vocabularies and directing their application. These experts then iteratively test and analyse results before a term is released to production. Controlled vocabularies are applied to new documents as they are added to the system. Periodically all indexed documents are retrospectively updated with the latest vocabularies.
When should LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology™ be used?
LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology can be used in any search run in LexisNexis news and business content. Many of our customers choose to use LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology because it:
- Captures broad concepts in a single rather than an endless keyword search
- You can find companies with common names or major stories about companies that appear frequently in the news. Additionally searching with company index terms adds immediate context to your search.
- Builds on narrower search terms so that your search can capture an entire industry. LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology makes these searches easy by "rolling up" narrower terms so that parent terms are all-inclusive.
- Adds context to a keyword searches by using index terms to let LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology do the work for you with ambiguous terms.
- You can find things that are difficult to represent in a keyword search such as "market share," "rankings," "statistics" or "trends" because all of these concepts are LexisNexis SmartIndexing Technology terms, saving yourself valuable research time.