Nexis DaaS® seamlessly aggregates content, enabling you to make intelligent, informed and impactful decisions for your business.
What is a content aggregator?
A content aggregator is an entity that pulls together web content and/or applications from online sources, for reuse or resale. Essentially, it’s a means of content curation all in one place—a service where content is licensed, and royalties are paid to the publishers.
Materials collected by a content aggregator can include a variety of topics, but can take the form of:
- Magazine articles
- Social media posts
Manual content aggregation (and content aggregator websites) have become increasingly labour intensive for a number of reasons:
- The widespread commoditization of free information on the web
- Extracting information from numerous websites can pose difficulties in verifying source reliability
- Publishers often release different versions of the same copy, with many aggregator websites relying on agency copy rather than customised editorial
Types of content aggregators
There are two types of content aggregators which exist for businesses to use: firstly, there are those which gather news and other materials from various sources, to publish on their own content aggregator websites. Secondly, there are automated content aggregators that syndicate content, gathering and distributing material to suit the needs of customers.
What is a content aggregator tool?
A content aggregator tool can connect you with an extensive content archive, all from a single point of access. Of course, it’s still possible to manually aggregate content in today’s data-driven world, but automated content aggregation—with the help of software tools—is more common and practical. This evolution reflects the changing role of the information professional, as they now focus their time on high value, specific tasks where they’re able to add greater levels of value to the business.
Why use a content aggregator tool?
65% of professional researchers on our ‘Voice of the Information Professional’ panel believe they could conduct their role with the same efficiency and proficiency, if they lost their paid content aggregator tool. What makes an automated content aggregator so crucial?
Content aggregator tools have a number of benefits, as your business can:
- Grow your marketing efforts as part of a content marketing strategy
- Power your business applications
- Drive your corporate intranet
- Add value to customers
- Stay updated on industry information
Save time and money
When asked whether a paid content aggregator saves time, 77% of the ‘Voice of the Information Professional’ panel said yes. Automated content aggregator tools are crucial for the following reasons:
A content aggregator tool utilises indexing, which guarantees precise and thorough search results. By connecting you with the information you need faster, you can access filtered, targeted, styled and formatted content with minimal processing.
Rather than sourcing content from multiple aggregator websites and managing a range of subscriptions, you can access a steady supply of information through a single point of access.
Content aggregators update information daily with content feeds that may not be accessible on an aggregator website, with information stored behind a paywall.
Content aggregators come with the added benefit of customer service and training. While the size and scale of our content library may feel overwhelming, our tools allow you to target content quickly and easily.
How a content aggregator tool works
While automated content aggregators are known for returning refined results quickly, they go through a number of steps to filter out the ‘noise’.
First, content aggregators identify and select key titles, publishers and third party content distributors.
Content aggregators draw from thousands of sources, all in different data formats. Original content is reformatted and standardised to appear uniform.
Content is permanently stored, backed up and archived for the customer’s easy reference.
Consistent and granular metadata is applied, helping you find the relevant content faster.
In this step, content aggregators build the content into a product or interface where search is intuitive for the user. Data extraction, functionality and delivery is one seamless process.
The customer is able to resolve issues as soon as they arise; resources and training are on hand to empower users to find information faster.
Aggregator website tools come with the benefit of continuous monitoring. If the publisher has an editorial update or amendment, content aggregation tools will implement those changes. This ensures the timeliness and accuracy of all content.
Content aggregation products and services have in-built security features, removing the risk for the user as they access content.
LexisNexis: a global content aggregator
LexisNexis has been aggregating content for more than four decades. We have not only one of the biggest news archives in the world, but also the taxonomy and search technology that makes it quick and easy to retrieve this cornucopia of information.
By taking advantage of our collection of information, you can in turn offer aggregated, curated and enhanced-attribute content using application programming interfaces (APIs). You’ll create smarter, more powerful business applications, and you’ll be able to deliver more value to your customers, both responsively and effectively.
LexisNexis provides access to a range of trusted sources, including:
- More than 17,000 licensed news and business sources
- Millions of daily news articles and social media feeds that span 75 languages and more than 100 countries
- More than 1.9 million company and 3.1 million decision-maker profiles
- More than 6,500 international news sources
- A comprehensive collection of patent data from more than 100 patent authorities
- Regulatory and legal information that draws from 168 million federal and state court dockets and 7 million court documents
- More than 600 company and industry sources
- More than 200 executive and biographical sources
Nexis Data as a Service
Nexis Data as a Service (DaaS) is a critical tool in our content aggregation arsenal. It connects you to the right content at the right time. With Nexis DaaS, you have access to:
- News data, including national and international newspapers, radio and TV broadcast transcripts
- Company and industry data, such as company profiles, corporate hierarchies, financial reports, mergers-and-acquisitions activities
- Legal information, including global treatises and court dockets, risk-management and compliance data on politically exposed persons (PEPs), sanctions lists and watchlists
- Magazines and trade publications, which provide essential perspectives and business intelligence on industry drivers and company events
- Intellectual property (IP) and patents data from more than 80 data sources and patent authorities
- Newswires and press releases detailing the important news of the day
What’s more, Nexis DaaS adds more data to its collection every day.
Access our Data Portal
Complete the form for access to our developers portal or free quote.